Friday, April 06, 2007

Update on Poppy

Still awaiting results from Poppy's allergy tests on Wednesday but, in the meantime, I've been doing yet more net research on skin problems in dogs and am now using a (human) pill that has had a lot of success in the USA. It's called Atarax, is an anti-histamine and anti-anxiety pill; I've got loads from when I had prurigo about two years ago (a bad allergic reaction following an insect bite that made me want to scratch my legs continuously). Just three days into treatment she seems s0 much better and I'm going to carry on with it for the time being.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hello,

I just Googled bichon and gall bladder (mine just had hers out) and found your blog.

I have an adopted bichon too. Her skin was a mess (raw and open from scratching) and she was terribly overweight when we got her several years ago.

I experimented with her diet and once I had removed beef, chicken and wheat from her diet her skin cleared right up! She eats duck and potato, mutton and rice, and did eat venison and rice -- but not in the future since that particular product has been recalled.

Good luck to you sorting out Poppy's allergies. Sophie has been a different dog since we changed her diet. Of course we all adore her, she's the girl in a family of boys.